Monday, January 19, 2009

Southern SAWG Conference

We're heading up to Chattanooga on Tuesday evening to attend the Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group's 18th Annual Practical Tools and Solutions for Sustaining Family Farms Conference. Elsewhere in this post, it will simply be referred to as "the conference".

On Wednesday and Thursday I am attending a pre-conference short course on beginning vegetable production. I had always planned to simply have a pasture-based farm selling chicken, eggs, beef, and maybe lamb, pork, and ostrich. I realized last year that vegetables are a good addition to any farm, because they are easy to market (i.e.: fewer tyrannical regulations) and produce a much higher profit per square foot. Customers who buy vegetables can then be introduced to chicken, eggs, and so forth. Unfortunately, I haven't studied vegetables nearly so much as I've studied chickens, and I'm hoping that this course will give me a good start.

The conference itself starts on Friday and wraps up on Saturday evening. The whole family is going, and will be visiting the Aquarium and Choo-choo. We should have a laptop and internet access, so we'll try to blog like we did in San Antonio.

After posting about the mushrooms, I found a few pictures of the flood that we had a few weeks ago. Both of our bridges were under water, and much of the pasture was flooded. Smokestack and I canoed across the whole pasture. You can see the flooded pasture in the background of the lower picture. (If you want to enlarge it, use a magnifying glass. I tried to make it clickable for 15 minutes.)


~Sherlock

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, here's a bit about making pictures clickable, because apparently you need a little help.

First of all, pictures will automatically become clickable when you upload them to blogger, unless you move them around. If you drag pictures around in your post, which is unavoidable some times, they will become unclickable.

To change this, after you've uploaded the image to blogger, turn around and upload the original size picture to an image hosting website, like photobucket.com (which requires an account) or tinypic.com (which doesn't). Then you copy and paste the direct link, once it's uploaded.

Still with me? Good.

Go to 'Edit Post', switch from compose mode to 'Edit HTML' and insert this code (without the spaces) at the beginning of the image:

< a href="http://www.thisisyourdirectlink.com" >

Pasting the direct link you copied above in place of this random url.

Then, place this at the end of the image (no spaces):

< / a>

Alright?

Image codes look start with < img... and end with >.

Now, publish it and see if it worked.

Hope this was helpful? If not, let me know. I can get simpler. It's a pain to do, but worth it sometimes.

Sherlock said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Flibby! I published it for future refernce. ;)

Dragging the pictures was my problem. I knew the html necessary to actually make the picture clickable, but then the Blogger page wouldn't show it full-sized. I assumed that it wasn't uploading correctly (i.e., Blogger's fault :). I guess I'll start a photobucket account.