Thursday, January 22, 2009

Second Day

After our day yesterday, we went to Panera Breads with Josh and family, who are also attending the conference. I would highly recommend the Asiago Roast Beef Sandwich and Jones' Cream Soda.

Today was about 20 degrees warmer than the arctic weather of yesterday- 53 degrees at noon. In fact, some of our family members are swimming right now (but I suspect the pool is indoors:). I finished the Organic Veggie class this morning, and motivated by the upbeat discussion and a Starbuck's Caffe Mocha, I'm all ready to go grow an acre of bountiful, healthy vegetables. Maybe a few years from now I'll reach that goal- it definitely takes time to build up soil, but now I have an idea of what I need to be doing. The instructors were very nice and answered hundreds of questions. In closing, they both gave us advice that they considered to be a critical part of successful farms. Start small and learn as you go, and, Diversify- it's good for you, your farm, and your customers.

After the short course and lunch, Smokestack and I watched 3 hours of videos, made by Southern SAWG, profiling farmers to demonstrate topics such as "Meat Goat Production" and "Pastured Turkey Production." I may be raising turkeys for Josh's customers, which could require anywhere from 50 to 100+ birds. The turkey video taught me a lot that I don't want to do- such as raising heritage breed turkeys that require 7 or 8 months to grow out and must have feed with 28% protein.

The General Conference starts tomorrow and lasts until Saturday evening. I found out that there will be an Alabama Networking session one evening, which sounds really exciting. Until tomorrow,

~Sherlock

No comments: