Friday, October 24, 2008

Farm Friday- Chicken Pickin' Edition

We've spent the last couple of exciting days processing chickens. Before I tell how that went, however, I must catch up for last week.

Last Monday we gave what I suppose was our first "official" farm tour, although it was with friends. It went very well. The kids listened to me talk about sustainable farming and relationship marketing, even though they thought it was boring, and I made up for it with a couple of hands-on activities-- digging sweet potatoes and drawing well water. Of course, that saved me a little work too.

This week I've been studying for my ACT test, building a plucker, and processing chickens, and I can honestly say that I'd rather butcher chickens than study for a big test. Last Saturday Stonewall and I built most of the plucker, and then we finished it up by Tuesday. Smokestack and I processed chickens on Wednesday and Thursday, and finished a total of 40 chickens. We were averaging five per hour alone, which is not bad considering the entire process of killing, scalding, plucking, and eviscerating. We are a little short of pictures, but mi madre, Esposa, took a good video of the plucker:


As a sidenote, if anyone ever wants a step-by-step guide to processing chickens, check out Herrick Kimball's informative site here. It has lots of pictures.


Have a Great Weekend,
Sherlock

3 comments:

Mrs. Wolfe said...

Ooh how exciting! Very nice video! :)

"It went from a chicken to chicken" Haha ^_^

Shayla said...

We didn't think the farm tour was boring at all. We loved it! We can't wait to come back. The pumpkin cookies, sweet potatoes and apples, and popcorn were a great way to finish the tour.

The Powell Girls

Sherlock said...

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to accuse ya'll of being bored. I just know that I can get a little tedious sometimes. :D