Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Of Traps and Bandits

Today is a very sad day, for on February 20, trapping season ends in Alabama. My season totals are: 1 raccoon, 1 non-target critter, 3 empty snapped traps, 4 flipped traps, and bait robbed 4 times. Quite a season. I'm content with one raccoon for my first season, but they'd better watch out next year.

Although my trapping season may not seem extraordinary, a dark thread of mystery and crime runs through it all, for I was visited four times by the most wanted criminal in Alabama forests- the infamous Bandit Coon. Striking under cover of darkness, he would flip or snap an entire trapline, stealing the bait for himself. He still roams free, so if you're wandering the forests at night- beware. The Bandit Coon can be very dangerous. Although as a baby he was cute enough to win anyone's heart, don't be fooled. Look at this picture- his mug shot after spending ten years in a prison camp. I wouldn't want to meet him on a dark night...
~Sherlock

1 comment:

Lady Why said...

Watch out next year is right! I'm sure you will be bagging them like crazy! Maybe those critters don't like to come out in the cold. That must be the reason... they are staying holed up in their cute little dens until spring. Is there a trapping season in a more hospitable time of year than winter? I hope so for your sake! Brrrrr! That was a mighty handsome raccoon you caught there, by the way!