Thursday, February 08, 2007

First Coon, or, I Got 'im!

After 6 nights of unsuccesful trapping I got my first raccoon this morning. I was still rubbing my eyes when we reached my site on the river (exact location secret). As we walked toward my first set, a Duke # 1-1/2 hole set with my homemade peanut butter-honey-vanilla flavoring bait, I saw something furry. My first impression was that it was an animal running away, maybe a rabbit (perhaps the last thing I expected was a trapped animal, I'm not sure). Then I noticed that it wasn't getting anywhere and it dawned on me. After taking him home I spent about four hours skinning and fleshing, due to my inexperience, to achieve these results:
~Sherlock

6 comments:

Lady Why said...

Outstanding!! Well done!! Amazing!! You boys and your trapping leave me impressed and in awe! You are fine hunters indeed!

Anonymous said...

Looks great Sherlock! Can't wait to hear more!

Anonymous said...

Looks great Sherlock! Can't wait to hear more about it!

Mrs. Wolfe said...

Ha ha! Last night when you told me that you weren't going to post until you caught something, I expected another month to go by. But here it is the very next day. Astonishing, purely astonishing!

Anonymous said...

"Ya got 'im!!" - R
"Congratulations!" - Mr. D
Hooray! Looks great! Hope to see it in real life soon.
The A's

Sherlock said...

You don't seem to show very much confidence, miss poppins. I'm finished now, and the stretched hide is an XL. I'll show it to you all Sunday.