Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Happenings on the Farm

An update on the farm, complete with pictures, is long overdue. I have been kept fairly busy with college courses, but we have made some progress over the past few months. I processed all of my chickens and turkeys before Thanksgiving, and we have begun preparations for next year's season. Now that I have completed my first college semester, I'm free to devote all of my attention to the farm. We have many plans that we are going to be working through this winter, and with God's blessing, we hope to make an appearance at our farmers' market next spring in order to begin serving the large customer base in our county.

I processed my first flock of turkeys a few days before Thanksgiving. Despite a few technical impediments, all of the turkeys were delivered on time. We learned that turkeys are quite different than chickens, particularly in size and strength, but we still look forward to growing more next year. ;)



On my birthday, we hired a trackhoe (and owner) to do some work in our fields. The machine weighs 30,000 pounds, which was quite enough heavy metal to dig out all of our stumps, as well as putting in a drainage trench along our very wet garden plot. Everything looks like a mess, at the moment... but progress can look messy at times.





1 comment:

Scentsibly Prepared said...

Hello, I have no clue how I found your blog - I was doing a google search on Basic H for worming our goats and you mentioned on a site that you used it for your goats.. and here I am :)
So my question is - how much do you use for your goats? We have a herd of 7 right now with 3 of them about to kid - we also just got a pyrenee's mix puppy to put in with the goats. Thanks for any help you can give us.
BTW- we are a homeschooling family of 7 (so far) and are homesteaders in the making :)