Saturday, June 06, 2009

My Graduation

Two weeks ago we celebrated my high school graduation with friends and family. I believe that the majority of this blog's readers were actually at the graduation, but I thought I would give a brief account with a few observations.

The ceremony was held at our church. My pastor delivered a message exhorting me to hold fast to Christ and Scripture despite the pressures of the world; not to simply "make it" through life safely, but to strive after God's will and become an instrument in His hands that can accomplish much for His glory. I pray that I achieve that goal, through God's grace, and make my pastor's day.

My father gave me my charge, which was summed up in three points. He exhorted me to become a man of valor, integrity, and vision. Valor, meaning "strength of mind or spirit that enables a person to encounter danger with firmness." In the face of a world that is hostile to biblical principle, this virtue will be a necessity. Integrity, without which no character can be developed. Vision, so that I have the foresight to think of future generations when I make decisions, in order that our family can continue to glorify God on earth.

I have adopted these three words as my motto, to remind me always of the charge which I was blessed to receive. Any good motto must be in Latin, of course:

Valerus, Integritas, Vides

2 comments:

Lady Why said...

Excellent motto, Sherlock! Your graduation was a blessing to everyone in attendance. Thank you for including us!!

all in the family said...

Yep, we were and what a blessing it was to be there and be a part of it. So good to see everyone too!