Friday, April 17, 2009

Farm Friday Kickoff!

Spring is here in full bloom! The trees are glowing in fresh green, the air is warm, and the birds are singing, so it's time to begin my Farm Friday posts for 2009. Spring is the busiest time of year for farmers, and the next two months will certainly be busy for us!




The poultry have already arrived at Windy Creek Farm. The pullets that I raised last year have finally begun laying, so they occupy one hoop coop moving over the pasture.



I started my first broilers about five weeks ago, so they are also on the pasture in a new, smaller hoop coop.



My modified Salatin-style pen holds 80 chickens, half of which should be pullets. These should start laying in July.



My very first flock of turkeys arrived yesterday. I ordered just 20 poults to start with, while I learn how to raise them. Turkeys are considered to be a very difficult animal to raise.



Smokestack wants to start a small hatchery, and he's building his flock of breeding hens. He is starting with Rhode Island Reds and Black Australorps, although the famous Buff Orpingtons Nelson and John Winthrop have joined his breeding program. I never thought that I'd meet chickens who could strike a pose for a photo.



Smokestack's rabbits are multiplying every day. Last time I counted he had 5 new bunnies, and thanks to some serious barricades and Cocoa, we haven't had any more trouble with dogs.



The bees are growing as quickly as the rabbits this spring. Smokestack and our Grandpa split our two hives, and then both hives swarmed, so now we're up to 6 hives- and there are four more hives coming in the mail! (It took a lot of courage to get this picture.)




A few weeks ago we acquired Benjamin, a Dorset ram. I am going to sell my goats and replace them with sheep this year, so he will be my breeding ram. He's cute now, but I'm told that in 6 months he should weigh 200 pounds.



The goats are doing well, as goats are supposed to do. That's a novel idea at our farm. They're happy as long as they can sneak a bite of chicken feed when I'm not looking.



I built a small impromptu greenhouse to hold our transplants. We've got four varieties of tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, pimento peppers, several varieties of lettuce, some very late cabbage, and several types of flowers.



We've planted sugar snap peas in the garden, and tomorrow we'll be turning in our cover crop of cereal rye and crimson clover. After that we'll be putting in most of our vegetables in short order.


We have many plans for expanding our gardens as my farming goals have shifted to include more horticulture. We cleared some small trees to extend our current garden and we will be fencing part of the pasture in order to grow vegetables instead of grass. We also have a hoophouse in the process of construction.




Our mascots Cocoa and Abigail are doing their best to promote our farm, while Tiger just takes catnaps. Abigail will be kidding very soon, and judging by her girth we'll have two new mascots. ;)



Well, it's usually the cat who's napping. :D


On Wednesday we took a trip to BC Hunt Farms in Prattville to pick strawberries. I met the Hunts in November at the ASAN conference and visited their farm afterwards. They have a U-pick strawberry operation, and as far as I have seen they are the only commercial strawberry farm in the state that doesn't use any herbicides or pesticides. We brought home 10 gallons and probably ate two gallons in the field! I hadn't eaten any fresh strawberries since last spring, so eating my first strawberry of this season, with a palate unjaded by Californian strawberry-like-objects, was a wonderful experience.



Have a great weekend,
Sherlock

6 comments:

Mrs. Wolfe said...

The pictures are amazing!! The first 5 are especially lovely. ^_^

I'm so excited to see how the turkeys work out for you guys! How long does it take them to reach processing age...just in time for Thanksgiving? ;)

I'm very glad to hear that John Winthrop and Nelson will be proud Papas! =D And I love the pictures of them. ^_^ They are quite dashing, aren't they?. =D

Wow, there's so much going on I just can't wait to see how it all plays out!!

Lady Why said...

Wonderful progress, Pilgrims!!! Of course, John-Winthrop and Nelson look just dashing with the rest of the flock. And, we're watching your bee operation with keen interest.

That strawberry farm looks like it made need a visit from the Martins this week!

Sherlock said...

Thanks! We're excited about the progress we've made and the possibilites before us.

The turkeys should be ready for processing in August (congratulations on using the proper terminology:). If everything goes well I will start a larger flock in July to process at Thanksgiving.

http://www.bchuntfarms.com

This is the website of the strawberry farm. The strawberries are delicious, and the Hunts are very kind Christian folks. We can give you all the details tomorrow if you'd like.

Fenimore said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fenimore said...

We caught one swarm of bees on Monday, and the other on Thursday.

We will probably not get as much honey production this year from the two hives that swarmed, because they swarmed so late in the honey flow. But next year we will hopefully get more.

all in the family said...

Love the new set up here guys. The pictures are terrific and I love what you guys are doing.

Take care,
The Noble's