Friday, August 22, 2008

Farm Friday

This week was even less exciting than last week. We're planning our fall and winter garden, and starting to plant some of the earlier-planted crops like beets and cabbage. It seems all of the vegetables I don't like are the ones that grow in winter. I've been trying hard to make myself like tomatoes, however, so maybe by force-feeding myself boiled cabbage, steamed broccoli, radishes and spinach this winter I can come to tolerate them. My only ray of hope is that home grown or farmers' market vegetables always taste better than the grocery store version.

I thought I should post a picture of our farm mascots. They're big fans of siestas on hot days, so we often catch them napping. I'm not sure if we've ever blogged about these two, so I should probably introduce them. The cat is named Tiger and the goat is Abigail.


80 more Cornish Cross chickens arrived at our post office this morning and they've happily settled into the brooder. They're so cute when they're less than a week old.


I have to do a followup on my Optimistic World News, because corn (and thus chicken feed) has gone down even more, gas is even cheaper, and although the temperatures are a little warmer, it has been breezy. And over in Beijing, the U.S. is ahead of (communist) China in overall medals.

3 comments:

all in the family said...

Yeah! Thanks for the update! We look forward to your updates every week. What are you doing with the chickens. Are they for free range eggs? Will you be selling the meat? We have friends that are doing chicken coops for Pilgrims Pride.

Mrs. Wolfe said...

I know how you feel about not liking tomatoes. And it's pretty sad since that's the best thing our garden has produced this year :P Maybe I should try the force-feeding thing myself.

Yes, you've blogged about Tiger before, but I don't know if I've ever seen Abigail. That's really funny---seeing a cat and a goat just sitting there enjoying each other's company :P

Those chicks are the cutest little things! Did the people at the post office think it was weird that you were receiving a crate(or whatever they come in) of 80 chicks?

~Poppy

Sherlock said...

Southern Belle,
It's good that somebody takes time to read the blog:). This flock of chicks is for meat, and yes, I'm selling it. I have a flock on the pasture right now that I'm raising for egg layers.

Miss Poppins,
I started with a tomato on a hamburger and then progressed to a tomato and cheese sandwich. That's as far as I've gotten:).

It seems that the people at the post office are used to getting chicks. I guess there's plenty of people around here ordering them. They did think it interesting when my Grandpa ordered some bees...