Friday, August 24, 2007

Smokestack's Honey Machine

I took this video of my bees on the land. I was too close in Sherlock's opinion- our video has no zoom. It sounds like a waterfall, which you can hear on the video, and can be quite intimidating, especially when a honeybee flies right by you. Other than that it is quite peaceful and fun too lean up against a tree and watch them running off a butterfly, trying with a lot of effort to get a leaf about ten times bigger than them out of the hive, then bees coming in landing on the leaf sometimes even pushing it back (on accident of course) in the hive. I saw all of this and sat for about an hour watching these fascinating workers that are so busy. I also got up and followed the bees to a field of tall yellow flowers. Now it is quite hard to follow the honey bees who fly so fast, especially when I usually can't see them when they are flying in the air. So I made a plan to follow one group of honeybees (usually three) and stop when I can't hear them anymore. I repeated this process until I found the flowers.

I hope to get a lot more honey next year, unless Winnie the pooh beats me to it.

~Smokestack

3 comments:

Lady Why said...

Wow! That does look incredibly too close for comfort! But, what a neat thing to watch and to be able to follow them to their flowers... now that would be great fun! Keep up the terrific updates!! We really love seeing your farm coming together!!

Frontiersman said...

Looks good. I like the boat picture.

all in the family said...

That is so cool. You are doing a good job. What kind of honey is it (what kind of flower)? We just ordered our honey here. We ordered Wildflower, Tupelo and Gallberry. Gallberry is very aromatic with a flowery smell.

Have a good one and keep us updated on the farm and on the progress.

Southern Belle