Monday, November 20, 2006

The call to Biblical manhood.

Well this weekend has proved to be a very meaningful one. My eldest son Bret is now 16 (as of 6:50 last night) and is now a man of his own. While still under the leadership of dad and under the loving authority of mom, he is a man. As most will already know who reads this post, we had a right of passage / Biblical manhood ceremony yesterday evening. Not a big formal thing but it was a big meaningful thing to me and Bret has told me it was for him also. All the men attending and some that were not able to attend had written a charge for Bret with great advice about the challenges and responsibilities of manhood. It was amazing to me that with everyone involved, each man had a different and very important aspect of manhood to talk about. I think the Lord blessed the evening and the men with the right words to say, so that together it was a very broad challenge to the young man. Thanks to all the men who contributed effort and time to this experience for Bret (Greg, Dennis, Danny, Spencer, Pastor Liddle and my Dad and all the boys in attendance who added to the occasion well with a few uplifting letters to Bret). It will be a lifelong memory for all of us. After the charge was a blessing and a 'knighting' ceremony where the yoke of manhood was placed on his shoulders and he was equipped with a sword (of the Geneva type - Heb. 4:12). I've attached some pictures of the ceremony for you. I will post my charge to Bret and the blessing we prayed over him tomorrow. Although, there were many better words shared. If you can talk Bret into sharing what he learned from the men, I know he'd be glad to let you in on some of the charges from others.


1 comment:

Lady Why said...

Dear Bret,

What a blessing you are to your family and all who know you!! Now that I've buttered you up (though, of course, I meant every word!) please do share with us all you learned!! I know I would love to hear your thoughts!!!

Those men that belong to our family were very moved and inspired by the ceremony. A sincere and humble blessing to be included, for certain!

Happy Birthday!!